Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Why Won't My Parakeet Eat My Diarrhea?" - Google's Bizarre Search Suggestions

It's been the top search term on Google Trends today. But are there really that many people asking, "Why Won't My Parakeet Eat My Diarrhea?"

The answer seems to be in the search giant's Google Suggest feature, in which you type letters or words into the Google search box in your browser, and Google gives you suggestions based on popular terms that other users have entered. If you start to type in "Why won't...," the parakeet query is one that comes up near the top.

As for the origins of the question "Why Won't My Parakeet Eat My Diarrhea?," it's possible it is a term from a TV show or is some other pop-culture reference. Similarly, if you type in "Why is...," one of the first results that Google offers is "Why is there a dead Pakistani on my couch?" If I recall correctly, this is a line from an episode of "Lost," in which Hurley's mom sees the drugged Sayyid passed out on the sofa in the Reyes home.

No comments: